Recently the U.S. Department of Agriculture extended flexibility for school districts to continue offering meal service to children under the Seamless Summer Option. Accordingly, the Columbia County School District will begin providing free meals to all students beginning immediately through December 31, 2020, or until federal funding is depleted, whichever comes first.
This extension allows all children 0-18 years old to receive free meals during this time, regardless of their meal status. This applies to meals served to students when they are attending school in person and when they are participating in the Learn from Home option.
All money spent on meals at school since September 1, 2020, will be credited back to the students’ online accounts for later use. A la carte menu items will continue to be available for sale where offered. Students may access free meals as follows:
Traditional In-Person Learning
- Students will go through the breakfast and lunch line as usual and have their student number scanned to allow Nutrition Services to track the meals served.
- Middle and high school students on the A/B schedule will have the option to request take home breakfasts and lunches for days they are not in the school building. On days they are at school, students may request the take home meals at checkout and pick-up the meals before leaving the building at the end of the day.
Learn from Home Model
Students who have opted for the Learn from Home model are allowed to participate in curbside meal pick-up free of charge at any Columbia County school between 12:00 and 12:30 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, beginning Wednesday, September 16, 2020. To allow nutrition staff to better serve children, families must complete the Google form located HERE to request meals. Additionally,
- Parents of children at multiple schools may choose one location for meal pick-up by indicating the school of choice on the Google form.
- Children are not required to be present at the time of curbside pick-up.
- Individuals should remain in their cars when picking up meals.
Find complete food menus for each month HERE.
- Breakfast and lunch items may be picked up from 12:00 pm - 12:30 p.m. Mondays', Wednesdays and Fridays from the RES car line located by entering the first driveway off Dolphin Way and proceeding to the awning along the curb.
- Please remain in your car when you arrive and a RES staff member will bring the food out to your family.
- Feel free to contact the RES front office (706.868.3736) for questions or more details about the meal plan.